Sunday, January 25, 2009

Finding Joy in the Journey

I have the "joy" of being a teacher in Relief Society. It really isn't that bad so I can't really complain. I get to teach the Teachings for our Times lesson at the end of the month. Sometimes that can be a real challenge because it is from a conference talk and not the lesson manual. This week I got to teach the talk by Pres. Monson "Finding Joy in the Journey." To be honest, I didn't remember the talk from conference but it was a fabulous talk. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend looking it up and reading it. I never talk like this for those of you who don't know me so well. Being spiritual isn't exactly high on my list of characteristics that I would give myself. I think this one just hit at the right time. You know how it goes. Anyway, it spoke of how important it is to live for today instead of waiting for tomorrow. Now that doesn't mean you don't have to plan for the future or go blow you life savings today. Just enjoy the moment. It really made me think about how blessed I am in my life. It is really easy to look at all the things that aren't exactly right with my life and dwell on those but a little harder to look for the right things. I gave the challenge to the class to look for things to enjoy about life and be happy. I am going to try to do a little of the same thing.

I love watching Ian discover things. I could be really angry when he drops things down the stairs but I am trying to remember that he is just discovering gravity. He is learning. I love Emmy's sense of humor. I am the luckiest person in the world to get to ride in the car with her and play I Spy. She is so smart. I especially love it when she tells me that she sees weird things on top of buildings like snails and squirrels and a stunk (this is a skunk and not a typo. I think the name is really appropriate) I live watching Kennedy's eyes light up when she gets a particularly naughty idea in her head. I love her laugh. She has the greatest laugh and she really loves life. I love Morgan's kind heart. She has so much compassion. She is sensitive to the feelings of those around her and always willing to help. I love Scott's willingness to serve. He works so hard whether at work or at church. I know he would rather be home but he never complains.

I am going to try to look at the good things and live for today. I am going to try to improve my current situation instead of just waiting for it to change. I will focus more on the people in my live than the things. I guess this is going to be one of my new year resolutions. I will be happy, not when the kids get older or when Scott gets a new job or when the house stays clean or when the laundry is done. I will be happy now.

3 comments:

Kaerlig said...

Thanks for the insights. At the end of the day I usually think about all the ways I messed up with my family....maybe I should change that and just think of all the ways I did right.

Pablo said...

Hey, Thanks for sharing you lesson with me. We had another article, which was good too.
Thanks for being a loving mother, wife, and daughter, love dad

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Great post!! Thanks for sharing your insights. I too am a R.S. teacher, and I have to say it's one of the best callings in the church. I'm at the stage in my life where a once a month church responsibility is just what the dr. ordered! =)