Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I know that I haven't posted anything recent in way too long and I am going to catch up later. I wanted to write something tonight. I just read the best blog entry ever. I don't even know the lady who wrote it. She is just the friend of a friend but it really put things into perspective and I thought that I would share it before Mother's Day hit. She talked about how most of us should more appropriately call it Martyr's Day instead of Mother's Day. I put myself into that category. It seems like nothings seems to work out right and I always end up in tears and feel like a horrible mother by the end of the day. That isn't going to happen this year.

She talked about how she would always leave church feeling like she was failing on almost every front. Then she realized that she was the best mother that her kids would ever have, no matter her shortcomings. I have to agree with her. It is important to remember that it is not a competition. We do the best we can and love our kids to the best of our abilities and that is all that is asked of us. I think mothers on a whole get frustrated because our husbands can't read our minds. Poor guys. It is a losing battle for them. We don't know what we want and so we set them up to fail every time. If I were them, I would stop trying.

So this year, I am doing things a little differently. I am taking the hint of a friend of mine and make a list of how I want my Mother's day to go and it is going to include a menu. I am not saying that I want diamonds or jewelry or any gifts, actually. I want to not have to get the kids ready for church. I want to eat quiche for breakfast. I will make it the night before. No one likes it but me but that is okay. I think that is what mother's day is about. I want to not have to chase my 16 month old during sunday school and relief society. I don't want to cook or do any dishes but still have a clean kitchen at the end of the day. I want to sit on the couch and read a book, and rest. I don't think that is a lot to ask for but it would make my day. It isn't that my husband wouldn't have given that to me in the past. I just never asked. I wanted it but never asked for it. That is my fault and not my family's. This mother's day will be different and I expect it will be the best one yet!

5 comments:

Emma said...

Very true! Husbands may have some intuition, but they can't read minds.

Heather Ridge said...

Thanks for sharing. I think often I fall into the rutt of thinking like the Martyr where things just don't go how I wanted. I too am going to have a better Mother's Day.

Kaerlig said...

I hope it happens for you. I'm going to tell my husband that what I want is to not cook dinner or do dishes...oh, and a nap while he watches the kids. We'll see what happens there.

Shad & Amy said...

Love it!

Jay and Stephanie Adams said...

Thanks mama!! Dave's and my kidding aside...Jay likes it this way. And gifts are nice, but something about Mother's Day makes me just want some peace. I'm with ya. I like the quiche idea(not just cuz I like quiche) I'm making sure the laundry is done, floors and bthrms cleaned so that I'm not frustrated tomorrow looking at it thinking HE should be doing it. I know it's Sunday, but we all know that spills and laundry pile up no matter the day. It's just that much less work Monday. Don't u love what Melissa said? Her personal blog is good too. She's under my friends on my site. BTW...I love your blog too!!! Have a great stress free day tomorrow!!