Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Houston's Best Kept Secret

For those of you who don't know, I am a huge fan of Parker Elementary School. For those of you who do know, bear with me. Houston has some very fabulous schools in the school district. They have magnet schools. Magnet schools have a particular focus, whether it is language, music, fine arts, vanguard (like gifted and talented turned up a notch) math, science, etc. You can apply to the different public schools you would like your child to go to.

When I moved here, Morgan was 3 years old and the only thing I really thought about was if there was an elementary school close by. About a year later, I was sitting at a playgroup with some friends from church and they were asking me if I had thought about what schools I would apply to for Morgan. That was so foreign to me they had to explain. They told me about the schools that were close by and I hear that there was a school around the corner that taught Suzuki violin starting in Kindergarten. I couldn't believe my ears.

Scott and I had always wanted out kids to learn music. It was always important to us. In fact, when I was pregnant with Morgan, Scott started worrying about when to get a piano. I figured we had a little time. So we happen to move to Houston and there happens to be a school about a mile away from our apartment that happens to teach Suzuki in the public school. So this is the deal. For the bargain price of $125 you child gets an instrument, insurance on that instrument, a private lesson every week and then in 1-5 grades, they have a group class everyday after school. So you can understand what a bargain this is, if you paid for this program privately, through the 6 years of elementary school, it would cost over $26,000. Oh, that also counts a workshop week where they fly different clinicians, people trained in Suzuki, from all over the country and they get a lesson with them for 3 days straight and then they have a concert at the end of the workshop. Oh, and did I mention that this is in a PUBLIC school?

I love Parker Elementary. I do have to say they don't just have violin and cello. They also have band, chorus, piano, and guitar. It is an amazing school.

So this past week was Suzuki workshop week. It is a great week but a very busy week. So Morgan and Kennedy both have lessons Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Of course, they were at different times during the day. One at 9:00 and the other at 1:35. Thankfully, my mother flew in to help me with the kids. That meant that I didn't have to try and find babysitters throughout the week. Anyway, she is a lifesaver. So she flew in on Tuesday and then I left her for the next few days. Wednesday I had the lessons and then I came home and proceeded to make 4 dozen rolls and 3 dozen cookies for a luncheon at the school the next day. Thursday I had to deliver the rolls and cookies and then the lessons again. That night, Morgan started complaining about a stomachache. I thought that it was just nerves for the concert the next night. Oh, no it wasn't. She started throwing up at about 10:30 and didn't stop until about 2 in the morning. She was so upset. She cried that she had worked so hard getting ready for the concert and if she was sick she wouldn't get to go to the concert. She didn't have a fever and didn't have any other symptoms so I told her if she could keep her food down and she rested, I would let her go to the concert. So Friday, I just went to Kennedy's cello lesson. She is doing so great. I am really happy with how hard she works.

That night we had the concert. I just have to tell you how amazing it is watching 160 children on the stage at the same time. They play songs of all different difficulties. I have to admit that after going to 4 of these concerts, my favorite is when they all play "twinkle twinkle little star" together. It just brings tears to my eyes. If you could just hear it. Oh, you can if you go to my friends blog, Raising Ebenezers. It is linked on my blog on the right hand side. She has a video link on her blog and you can see and hear how great it sounds. I just can't believe how good it sounds every year. It is just the twinkles but it is something else. I love Parker. Have I mentioned that?

Oh, did I forget to mention that this is the only school like it in the COUNTRY! Not the only public school, the only school. There is nothing like it out there. If you did it privately, you would be lucky to get a group class once a week. Some are only offered once every 2 weeks. I love Parker.

9 comments:

Heather Ridge said...

I am glad to hear that there are great schools out there. It seems like I hear a lot about how bad so many of the schools are. I am sure I will need you advice when it comes time for Isaac to start Pre-K. I loved their performances, they are really good.

April said...

Wow! I just went and watched the video and that was amazing!! I wasn't expecting it to be THAT good! Sean and I disagree on where we want to send Addie. I would love for her to go to Parker, but Sean is set on a dual-language school. I'll have to show him that video.

The Mangums said...

I love our awesome magnet schools in Houston. So many choices and great opportunities for the kids.

It is fun to see your kids playing their instruments. One of my funniest memories of Kennedy is her carrying her backpack on her front and her cello on her back, coming out of school one day last year when I picked the girls up. So cute!

Brett, Jaymie, McKaleigh, Colton, Alex said...

Wow, I had no idea there was such a school - publicly! What a great experience for you and your kids!
Jaymie

The Bach 10 said...

Love to see you blog too. Do you know how I can get ahold of Jen??

Kaerlig said...

Wow. You guys picked the right neighborhood. I wonder if other schools will follow this pattern. I work at a Magnet hospital but they don't give my family that many great perks.

Anonymous said...

Amen sista. Glad you liked the video. It was an awesome concert. Morgan and Kennedy were fabulous!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Houston does have some AMAZING schools!!! How wonderful for your kids--that's awesome!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh--and so happy to see you have a blog--now we can always see what you're up to!! =)